I'm getting a high chair for Reagan for Christmas. (Actually the only gift I'm giving her) I know some moms just go crazy even when they're pregnant and buy tons of cute things (some extreme moms even buy for both genders if they haven't found out the sex yet). Well even when Reagan came I really have only bought the essentials for her. I am under the notion that kids don't know the difference so why bother. Back to my original point: the high chair. We're approaching the time when Reagan will enter the world of solid food! I can tell she's getting ready because she is grabbing at everything and putting it in her mouth. I'm actually kind of excited to start feeding her food. I mean, I know it will be a pain but it's like a whole new exciting phase (I laughed in my mind as I just thought of the comparison of shaving your legs for the very first time, you are so excited to do it even though it is going to be an never ending chore once you start).
I'll wait till Reagan is 6 months and then begin (just one more month). I would still like to do some more reading on the feeding basics. Of course, I know I'll start with rice cereal, but what next, how often, what order, a great variety or just something new every so often. I think at first with her only eating a tiny bit I'll just buy the baby food. As she eats more I think it will be more worth it to make my own. Please leave me any advice you have for me....(tips, better brands, things you wish you would have know, etc.)
This leads me to my next point that I am totally clueless about being a mom. I seriously just learn as I go along. Example: It's getting pretty cold here. I have a snow suit for Reagan but it's just not practical to dress her in that every time we leave the house so I have just been wrapping her in a blanket . The other day we were leaving someone's house and as we walked outside they said, "Does Reagan have a jacket?" As I contemplated that question on the way to the car I thought to myself, "Wow, a jacket, what a novel idea, I should probably get one of those for her, huh?"
So the other day I set off to find her a jacket. I already touched on how I'm super frugal so I bought Reagan a coat for an 18 month old, it will fit her just right next year!!! But it's one of those puffy ones and she looks so dang cute in it. I will post her picture soon, I haven't taken a picture of her in it yet.
If it makes you feel any better, I still am working on the whole jacket thing with Celeste and this is my second time around! If I put a big old jacket on her then she doesn't fit in the car seat, and it is so tricky to find a little sweater that is actually warm. Anyway, about the food. My only advice is that after the rice cereal, give her something else bland, like all the veggies. Save the yummy fruit for later, so she doesn't know there is something better than the "yucky" stuff. Holl off on all sweet things for as long as you can. And, if she doesn't seem to like a food right away, just keep introducing it to her. It takes some children up to 15 times to be introduced to a new food before they will eat it! I never knew that before, and I was so glad when I learned that from Cameron. It takes a lot of the pressure off for them to like green beans right away :)
ReplyDeleteWe bought a high chair that is can just be strapped onto a normal kitchen chair. It's called the Fisher Price Space Saver High Chair. It can convert to a booster seat eventually for when they're bigger. I'm really excited about it. It was only about $50 at Target. It's lime green and really nice. The tray is dishwasher safe and the cushion is easy to clean. It think it will be perfect and is unisex as well. It also leans back and can sit at different levels to feed babies to toddlers. You may just wanna check that out. Also from what I've heard rice cereal is a great way to introduce food. My friends here do it and started it at 4 months. It's going great for them! Good luck!
ReplyDeleteRice cereal is suggested because it is the least likely to cause allergy. Makenzie hated it, it tastes like mush so we moved to oatmeal, she seems to like that. Also rice cereal can constipate babies. I started with veggies for like 2 months just gerber stuff and Kenzie did pretty well, then when she did pretty well with those I did fruit. She prefers fruit but I am glad I didn't give in at first because she may have never eaten veggies. I started with one meal a day at night time, then slowly worked up to two, then 3 and a few little snacks (puffs). Kenzie just loves to eat real people food, and she is getting to the age where I am not to scared of allergys so I sometimes give her things like little boiled veggies, pot pie, noodles, it just kind of comes. I can't wait until she can just eat regular food. Just be patient, sometimes babies will go on food strikes and its frustrating, but you just have to let them get over it. As far as high chairs, I have an expensive one bc my mother in law bought it. I like it it but really a cheaper one would have served the same purpose. You're right, they don't know any better.
ReplyDeleteYour pediatrician will probably give you advice at her well check, but in case he doesn't here's what mine told me for AJ. Start with the cereal (again, rice, but like your friend said, rice can constipate, which it did both my kids, so I prefer oatmeal). When she's finally used to the whole thing (maybe a week or two) start with yellow veggies (squash mostly), then orange veggies (sweet potatoes mostly), then yellow fruits (bananas and pears mostly), then orange fruits (peaches mostly). Introduce one new food and wait three or four days before trying a new one to check for allergies.
ReplyDeleteNow, I make my own baby food with my blender and some ice cube trays and I think it is WAY less expensive and the food is so much tastier. In fact, my kids get a little picky and won't eat the jar stuff because it doesn't taste as good or have the same texture. Just my two cents.
Sorry, I haven't been blog-checking in a while. Christmas craziness here! High chairs: we have one that can be strapped onto a chair as well. I'd totally recommend that kind-- it's doesn't take up any extra room, and it's portable-- we've brought ours to visit relatives or moved out of the way easily when we had guests. We got a Safety First brand originally (it was cheapest) and it broke right away. So we took it back and got a Fisher Price Health Start chair, and we've loved it. It came highly recommend to us, and after two kiddos, it's still holding up great.
ReplyDeleteAnd about the food... rice cereal is so fortified with nutrients that we add it to practically everything. If Hyrum is just having a bowl of applesauce, we stir in rice cereal. If he is having baby food, we stir in rice cereal. (Plus, it makes it thicker and not so runny!) It is so good for them -- read the labels, and you'll see they're getting a TON of good stuff in baby cereal!
You're doing great! None of us know any of the answers. We all just pretend we do!
I would start with rice cereal and then introduce one veggie at a time (every 5 days) to make sure she isn't allergic. I would mix a couple tablespoons of veggies with rice cereal because babies really need the iron. I did veggies only for a few weeks because I wanted Kailee to really like the veggies before she got to the sugary fruit. Now she loves both! I'd say make your own squash, sweet potatoes, and peas and freeze it in ice cube trays and buy other veggies. You can also puree your fruit, but I just buy the baby fruit, especially with fruit being expensive this time of year! Oh, and I would start out just feeding her a little once a day for a week or two, and then twice a day and once she hits 8 months, 3 times a day (this is when you can start adding meat!!) I do a fruit with rice cereal for breakfast, crackers, cheese, some sort of meat mixed with rice, noodles, or veggies (pureed), and for dinner rice cereal with veggies. Everyone is different though!
ReplyDelete