The things everyone knows, I usually don't! I was reminded of this yet again, when I asked Will why he didn't tell me something that was supposedly pretty obvious. His reply was, "I thought everyone knew that!" With me, always assume I don't!!!
Well, here is something that "everyone" has, right???? A good chocolate chip cookie recipe (see end of post)
After almost 3 years of marriage I have been baking the entire cookie batch on the spot. I really don't enjoy making cookies and this is the main reason: I'm excited about the first batch coming out of the oven and then I hate living the next hour in 10 minute increments where I can't really get anything done but think about if my cookies are done. So the other day Will said, "Why don't you just bake a few cookies and put the rest of the dough in the fridge?" Genius! I told Will that was the best idea ever: you can then have just the right amount then and then enjoy warm cookies again and again throughout the week, just by cooking a few at a time. (and don't forget the added pleasure of cookie dough) Now I can really enjoy my cookie making experience, it's short and simple and it's a gift that keeps on giving (I also don't end up feeling sick at the end of the night having eaten way too much). Will told me this is how his mom always did it and I incredulously asked him WHY he had never told me about this before. His reply made me laugh, "I just thought it was easier for you to bake them all at once and then store them." Nope, I just did it that way because that's the way my mom always did it and I didn't even think of doing it any other way.
Will also told me that his mom always doubles the batch. Also genius!! You already have everything out, the mess is already made, just double the batch and freeze your own cookie dough. Will is in for a big treat. I use to NEVER make cookies, now we always have some on hand.
Did you know that???? Have any other SIMPLE "everyone knows" advice that could change my life??
Now for the goods:
(thanks Tara, this is now my 'go to' cookie recipe, easy, quick, and delicious):
Cream together:
1 cup butter, softened
2 eggs
3/4 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
Stir in separate bowl:
3 cups flour
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp baking soda
Stir both together, add chocolate chips. Bake @ 350 for 10 minutes or until done
I do the same thing with cookie dough, probably more to have cookie dough to snack on when I get the craving than any other reason.
ReplyDeleteI also cook my ground beef a bunch at a time and store it in the freezer in sandwich baggies. I also buy chicken breast in bulk and cut all the fat off ahead of time. I cut up and cook some of the chicken for the freezer and then keep some whole breasts divided into baggies. It makes last minute dinners so easy.
I'm enjoying surprising you with my behavior so much lately that I'll tell you something else you'll never believe....I bake! All the time in fact. It has become one of my most favorite things.....who knew!
ReplyDeleteThat IS really smart!! I like to make jalepeno poppers then freeze them!!
ReplyDeleteYou buy those won ton wraps (or eggroll wraps if youlike them bigger like me)
In a bowl, mix 8 oz of cream cheese, and 2 table spoons of diced jalepenos. Mix until even.
Wet the outside of the wrap with water (or brush edges lightly w/ raw egg)
Put a dallop in the middle of the wrapper (if you are using a eggroll wrap you wanna put maybe 2 or 3 "dallops")
Fold in half, matching the corners perfectly. Make sure the edges are sealed tight so that no moisture can leak out.
(here is where I put a bunch in baggies and freeze them)
Then the ones we wanna eat I fry up in veggie oil.
They are SO good!
I will have to try the whole freezing cookie dough stuff!
We need to do dinner again soon! You guys can come over here this time!