Will yelled for me to come hold the door so he could go for the snake but I was literally paralyzed with fear. While he held the door I ran to the neighbors...not home. Rose and Shirrel's son-in-law, Bill, was visiting so I ran to their porch, opened their sliding glass door and enlisted his help. While Bill held the door Will ran around to come for the snake from the inside. The snake hissed for attack. From the outside we could see the tail (if you can call it that) lift up and curl and rattle forebodingly.
Will hit him with a shovel, he said the snake was whipping his tongue in and out and showing his fangs until his tongue flew out in it's finally hiss as it's head was cut off- gruesome I know! We had to wipe the blood off our our steps.
The decapitated snake:
Will buried him in the dirt area/field behind our house.
Will was pretty proud of himself and went inside to tell his manly tale on facebook but I was left shaking. Here's why: there are so many different ways this scenario could have so easily played out. Reagan is always playing on those step while we are inside, if she had gone out she could have so easily been bitten. It could have happened during the day when Will wasn't home to help. It could have gotten in our house, it was seconds away from doing so!!!! Lesson learned to never ever leave the door open, which we are so known to do (I already had a run in with a chipmunk this year). But when Reagan is playing outside I like the screen open just a crack so she can check in and out. If that snake had gotten in our house I would have been a nervous reck thinking it could slither into a crib or attack us at any given moment. I am so so grateful to Heavenly Father that Will was with me and could handle it the way he did. Will and I profusely thanked Heavenly Father in all of our prayers for protecting our family.Here is a video of the snake still moving after his head was cut off. (it continued moving like this entire time!)
WOW, Scary, Disgusting! I'm glad it all worked out like it did!
ReplyDeleteOMGish!!!! Julie, I am sick thinking about how terrible this could have been! Heavenly Father was really watching over you and your family. That snake is a whole lot bigger than any garden snake I have ever seen! It reminds me of the time Mom had one in her garage and again it was Heavenly Father protecting her. So glad this story has a happy ending. Way to go Will!!!
ReplyDeleteThat's so crazy, I can't believe you almost had a rattlesnake in your house! Way to go Will, and I like the burial you gave it.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you're all ok! How scary.
ReplyDeleteHoly exciting.
ReplyDeleteEwwwwwwww! That is so gross! Ew ew ew ew ew. I can't say it enough. I would have literally freaked out. EEEeewwwww! I'm glad you guys are okay.
ReplyDeleteOh my, that gave me the chills. (Ashley shurtleff)
ReplyDeleteEw. This is so sick. What a scary thing. I am so glad Will was home to take care of it. I think Dave and I both would have just packed up the house and climbed out through the window. Neither of us are very brave with those things.
ReplyDeleteAnd p.s. I enjoyed those beautiful pictures of your little Reagan!!
EEW!! oh my gosh i would of totally freeked out! Wow he was big! I'm so glad you guys are ok!
ReplyDeleteYikes! I'm so glad that the story turned out so well! That's crazy and terrifying!
ReplyDeleteWow, how scary! That makes my pregnancy-hormone enhanced paranoid self so scared to let Emma go outside without me anymore! She would have been so curious... You guys are so lucky (blessed) that it worked out like it did. You woulnd't have even known it was in your house! I would be having nightmares for months if this happened to us. I am so glad you're moving to a new place soon!
ReplyDeleteoh my goodness! i would have been absolutely freaking out. way to go will!!
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh! that is the scariest thing! I'm glad you all survived!
ReplyDeleteWaaaaa! Holy scary! You're not the only screaming girl around, don't be ashamed of it! I would've screamed and then had a seizure or something. Thank goodness it played out the way it did and he didn't get inside. And that movie made me put my M&M's down, it was that scary! (it takes a lot for me to put candy down!) Glad you're all okay!
ReplyDelete