Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Columbine

A good friend of mine recently lost her baby. Each time I read her beautiful blog my heart hurts. Tears come easily and I let them roll down my face.

Kristin and I were pregnant at the same time. We often talked about our pregnancy. We both were having girls. We talked of names, of nursery decor, and all the joys and excitement of new babies.

During the pregnancy Jared and Kristin learned that there were complications, but there were so many unknowns.

When Ruby arrived they knew her time with them was going to be short. She died 15 days later.

Having ours girls so close in age have been hard. It makes me squeeze McKinley a little tighter but it also tugs at my heart. It's sad when I here I am holding McKinley, knowing Kristin doesn't get to hold Ruby, to feed her, to rock her, to comfort her, to see her precious smile, and to watch her grow. It's so hard. But He knows, He cares, and He will carry us through. I've felt those literal arms carrying me through periods of my life.

I wanted to share an email I recently wrote Kristin:

"Will was a sophomore in high school when the infamous school shooting occurred at Columbine High School. He didn't just happen to be there, he was RIGHT in the middle of it. Will was outside eating lunch on what felt like a normal day, but it was not a normal day, it was a day that would change his life and many many others forever.

All of a sudden, Will heard what sounded like firecrackers. Immediately (Will tells me it was the Spirit speaking to him) he knew they were gun shots. Two boys came charging down the hill LAUGHING like devils while repeatedly shooting the crowd with their guns.

Will looked around and saw students going down everywhere. I wont go into all the details, it was a horrific day but I KNOW that Will was led. I KNOW that he was protected, I KNOW that he was led to help others.

I share these things with you, not to bring you down, but hopefully to give you hope. Kristin, I cannot even image the pain of losing a child, I try and my heart aches. It leaves my heart aching for you. What I can understand though, is that there has been terrible pain in this world and somehow, through the power of the Atonement, we are able to be healed and be stronger for it. It doesn't take the pain, loss, or missing away but it ENABLES us to go on with courage and faith.

Will said for years there wasn't a day that went by where he didn't think about Columbine, where he didn't see visions of what happened. Slowly, as the years went by he would realize, "Hey, I didn't think about that today," then it turned into a week, and so forth.

Will remembers and holds it close, you need to remember, but it doesn't haunt him the way it used to.

I know the Lord has helped him. And although these two trials are vastly different the connecting factor is that the Lord can heal pain. And you know what, although we hate it and we wish it didn't have to happen, in a certain way, we are stronger for it. Will thinks a lot of who he is today is because of the things he had to face and overcome."

As I wrote Kristin this email yesterday I FELT for Columbine. I had feelings inside me, I was hurting for columbine, mourning this tragic day, hurting for Will and for all those involved. I went to the shower and cried. Yet somehow through my tears I was feeling peace. I could feel peace because of the sure knowledge of my Savior.

The Atonement is how you can go on after events like these.

Brothers Jonathan and Steven Cohen, who were junior and seniors at Columbine High School at the time of the shooting, wrote this inspired song (I posted the song in a previous post if you'd like to hear it): The "You" is speaking of Christ

Columbine, flower blue, tenderly I sing to you.
Columbine, rose blood red, heartbreak overflows my head.
Columbine, flower blue, Columbine there's hope for you.
Columbine, friend of mine.

Turn our pain to Your gain,
Keep our hearts on the mark
Comfort us with Your love again

Comfort, Peace and sweet release,
Must come from You,
Where it's true,
I hide myself in You.

Can you still hear, raging gun,
Ending dreams of precious ones,
In God Son, hope will come,
His red stain will take our pain,

Columbine, friend of mine.
Peace will come to you in time,
Columbine, friend of mine.

Columbine, flower blue, tenderly I sing to you.
Columbine, rose blood red, heartbreak overflows my head.
Columbine, friend of mine.
Peace will come to you in time.
Columbine, friend of mine.

Our good friend Bethany, who along with her husband Casey, were also there that fateful day at Columbine. Recently, their precious baby girl arrived extremely early and has been in the NICU for 4 weeks.

As cry and ache for these dear friends I turn to the Savior. The way through heartache, pain, and trial is through HIM, the Savior Jesus Christ. My heart is heavy but I can REJOICE.

When we bought our house I planted a Columbine plant in my flower bed. Each year it comes up after the long winter, I reminded of new life. Christ is what gives us new Life. Please watch the video I posted in the previous post. I know that Christ LIVES.

3 comments:

  1. Julie,

    That was a beautiful post. Thanks for the inspiring words and for sharing it with me.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Julie. Just Wow. I think you are wonderful. And I think your husband is amazing. I can't believe he was there.. I just can't believe it. I really enjoyed our chat the other day. It was wonderful. Talk to you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heart-wrenching yet inspiring post, Julie. I was crying pretty much through the whole thing.

    When I was pregnant with Ethan, our friends were also having their 4th baby, a boy finally! They found out at the ultrasound that their baby had a heart defect. He was fine in the womb, but once born and breathing oxygen, he would die. Of course she faithfully carried that sweet baby full term. Her baby was born a week after Ethan and passed away 18 hours after birth. Every time I had moments in the night, alone feeding Ethan or holding him, I would be weeping for my friend. I am so grateful for Heavenly Father's tender mercies. I do not know how people continue living through such trials, but I know that Heavenly Father comforts them in ways I cannot comprehend.

    ReplyDelete

comments