We stood on the porch. Lincoln and McKinley freshly bathed, hair still wet. Reagan sitting on the grill, dressed up in daddy's over-sized polo. Flapping those long sleeves, wide open smile. McKinley squealing. Lincoln wildly waving to cars zooming passed. A driver lifts his hand and tugs on his loud truck horn. The kids look to me in amazement. I love that look, always wanting to know someone who loves them is there seeing what they see and the actions they do. Our day was made.
Kinley cries in the car, Lincoln reaches over and takes her hand.
My oldest sister came to visit. She spoils me and my children. She takes Reagan to school and delights in seeing her world. I take comfort knowing she'll take my mother's role one day. Melissa is the heart of our family.
I've been emailing a friend I met in the hospital. It's been good for me to talk to someone from that time. My memory is so fuzzy and I need to connect.
Listening to this song lately, one of Nie's favorite.
I had a few down days this week. I feel so guilty. I'd think after all I've been through, I'd understand and know it's okay. But how, when I feel like crap and don't do anything, can I not feel bad about myself? The control I work so hard gaining with my kids shatters in an instant when they are allowed to do anything, not having the energy or even the care to do anything about it. It's hard when they don't know what to expect from me. Luckily those downs don't last. A few days here and there are normal I guess for my life. I can pick up and press forward.
McKinley scales the steep dirt hill in the never ending construction in our hood. She determinedly steps up and up until she reaches her goal, the fence: the dogs! She tucks her little head under, giggling as the dogs excitingly paw under and out of the fence striving to lick her tiny fingers. At the sight of any animal those little legs stomp quickly as she quenches her fists in delight.
Lincoln collects the nails in the dirt. Hundreds, I truly believe, he's brought to me, rusted and bent out of shape. "I'll put them in a safe place," I assure him. ie the garbage bin.
Having trouble with my camera/computer so may not have pictures for a while.
love this! And I love that you feel comfortable enough to put it out there how you are doing. Everyone feels this way, but rarely do we tell people how we are really feeling. Every week I have these same thoughts how it is so hard to get things to work well in our family and how fast it falls apart. I know I should love spending quality time with my kids all day, but I keep refreshing Facebook to see if there is anything else I can waste my time on instead of getting back to real life. You are not alone. And the beautiful thing is right now it doesn't last. We have bad days, but there are good days! And if we didn't feel guilty, what would that make us? :) So I think feeling guilty is inevitable, but knowing we are not alone, definitely helps. I love you! You are a fantastic mother and a wonderful friend!
ReplyDeleteI dont know if you have read this but its one of my favorites right now. PROMISE to read it.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.daringyoungmom.com/2012/12/19/drops-of-awesome/
crazy!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete