Thursday, February 14, 2008

Sometimes When You Wanna Cry You Just Gotta Laugh

Eggs Benedict is one of Will's and my favorite breakfasts. Will and I went on a cruise and BOTH ordered eggs Benedict EVERYDAY for breakfast. As I was making my meal plan last week I thought it would be so fun to make this gourmet egg dish for dinner. I was so excited!!! I wouldn't even tell Will what we were having for dinner because I wanted it to be a fun surprise....

I slaved in the kitchen, don't let a breakfast dish deceive you, it was a lot of work! I ever so gingerly separated the egg whites from the yokes, I vigorously stirred the yokes over a pan filled with boiling water, careful not to let them get too hot or they would scramble but warm enough to thicken them. The last step with the hollandaise was to add Cayenne Pepper. (keep in mind I am not well versed with the spice rack so the tastes and purposes of most spices are foreign to me) I sprinkled a little in and was awed at how pretty it made it sauce look. I thought if a little made it look nice, a lot would do wonders right? So I did a few more shakes and set it aside to poach my eggs...

The recipe said fill pan with water and add 2 Tbs of vinegar to help keep the egg from spreading. However, when I put my eggs in they were still spreading more than I liked so I added more vinegar and was so excited to watch as I poached my very first eggs.

I assembled the dish: toasted English muffin, a nice thick piece of ham, a perfect poached egg, and then drizzled the Hollandaise sauce on top. Oh, it was beautiful.I call Will over, we pray, and.....hmmmmmm. What is that awful taste??? I try to keep eating, but what is wrong with this?? Will spits his bite out, "What did you do to this?" The Cayenne pepper was so hot in the sauce and the egg tasted like pure vinegar. OH NO!!!!! Will was trying to be funny when he said, "At least we didn't have guests over!" Not the right moment to say that.

I was so upset. I got up and began the long process of cleaning up. I had spent so much time and had been so excited. I just wanted to cry and then (after about 10 minutes) I decided the only thing to do was just to laugh!!! I went from being flaming mad to laughing hysterically at myself and this crazy situation. Hey, it's not every night you can say, "I'll remember this meal for the rest of my life!"

Maybe the funniest and most ironic thing about this whole disaster was I had taken a picture of the plate (seen above) before we ate with the thought, "Oh, I am totally posting this on the friends' recipe blog!" Wow!!!!!

After I had calmed down Will and I had a great time laughing about it. He said, "Yup, that was the worst thing you've ever cooked!"

As you can probably infer I am not gifted in the cooking department. But like most areas of my life, things do not come naturally to me but I work really, really, really hard until I actually find great success. So in my quest for becoming a phenomenal cook if you have easy, fool proof recipes send them my way!

6 comments:

  1. JULIE! This post was awesome! First of all, your eggs did look beautiful! But I have been experiencing some disasters myself in the kitchen lately. I have always been an decent cook... I'm not too experimental, so generally I cook things that are manageable. But like last night, I made a GREAT stir fry sauce and got the chicken ready and everything... only to realize I had no vegetables for it. WHAT?! How does that happen? Anyway, this past week, the stars must be mis-aligned or something... because the strangest things keep happening to me in the kitchen!

    I understand about being disappointed after so much work. Good for you for trying ... and even better for you for laughing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. JULIE! This post was awesome! First of all, your eggs did look beautiful! But I have been experiencing some disasters myself in the kitchen lately. I have always been an decent cook... I'm not too experimental, so generally I cook things that are manageable. But like last night, I made a GREAT stir fry sauce and got the chicken ready and everything... only to realize I had no vegetables for it. WHAT?! How does that happen? Anyway, this past week, the stars must be mis-aligned or something... because the strangest things keep happening to me in the kitchen!

    I understand about being disappointed after so much work. Good for you for trying ... and even better for you for laughing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry... Hyrum is sitting with me and he pushed the button twice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a hilarious post. Will cracks me up. I would've been upset. I've spent a lot of time on a dish before that turned out HORRIBLE. I got it off the internet and thought for sure someone must have posted it online as a joke because it was REALLY bad. It happens to everyone. If you followed a recipe, then you did everything right!! Bad recipe, not bad cook. Your eggs did look delicious. I'm glad you could laugh it off. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha I love it!! You are really good at this blogging thing!! Okay...so the food looked great!! But then again...so does the Chinese food that I attempt to "create". You should seriously ask Chris about my attempts with oriental food...

    I use to get so offended seeing him toss more and more and more and more salt and pepper on my chinese cooking...when I finally realized...this is SERIOUSLY nasty!!! haha. ohhh you have to love moments like that though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are amazing Julie! I can't believe your passion for things. Although your dish didn't turn out, be proud because it looks beautiful! I love that story!

    ReplyDelete

comments