Friday, April 10, 2009

My New Life

I sort of felt like there was a honeymoon period with this second baby. At first I had lots of help (moms, people bringing meals) so I didn't really have to do anything allowing the transition to be super smooth. This third week I feel like things have finally settled down enough to start getting back into a routine. However, it felt so weird because I didn't know what that routine was. This week has had its ups and downs. For the most part things are going really, really well but there have been some overwhelming times.

A sweet story: At one of those overwhelming times I couldn't stop the tears from coming. I was crying as I bent over Reagan to change her diaper. She looked up at me, put her hand on my cheek, rubbed it softly, and then gave me a kiss. It was so tender! She can't fully talk but that sweet action spoke more to me and than anything. It made me think, "Hey, this is a little tough but I have nothing to cry about!"

It's mainly when I feel like everyone needs me right at once that I get stressed out. Like in the mornings when I have to feed both kids, change diapers, get ready etc. Or bedtime when I'm trying to get both kids to sleep and I'm so tired myself! Or around dinner time: preparing, eating, and picking up. Now that I think about it, it's actually pretty funny that meal time is probably when I get the most upset. It's the food I tell ya! I have gone to great lengths to prepare a nice meal so when I try to sit down and enjoy it and inevitably both kids take turns needing me and I barely have touched my food that I pretty much lose it! Is it too much to ask to eat a meal in peace? Yes, probably for the next 10 years, it is! Shoot, I am one of those people that like to savor every bite...

But I have found that these are just MOMENTS. I have stressful moments but overall the days are truly great.

And now that this third week is over I really do feel like I'm settling into my new life. 2 weeks of bliss, one week of a little craziness while trying to settle in, not too bad I'd say! And now I'm discovering our new routine (yes, I am all about routines. I have to have routines/order/productivity/checklists in my life:)

So this is what I've discovered. I absolutely need my mornings. I can't schedule anything or expect to be anywhere in the mornings because that is my time to get things put together. I feed the kids, get ready, change diapers, pick up the house, clean the the kitchen, feed the kids again and by this time it's already nap time! Then when Reagan naps I have quiet peaceful time to rejuvenate. When she wakes up I am ready to GO. We run errands or play outside. Reagan's new favorite thing are swings and my new favorite people are our neighbors who let Reagan play on their swing set!!! I am also loving the sling that my sister Jamie got me that allows me to have both hands free while holding Lincoln who falls fast asleep. (I'll post pictures of this soon because it's pretty dang cute!)

If I try to do it the other way around (play outside or go places in the morning) my entire day feels stressful because I need to have the house in order and the work done so I can fully enjoy those other activities.

After we've played outside or gotten home we are ready to make dinner and enjoy dad when he gets home. Then before we know it it's time for bed but not before some song singing, book flipping, gospel teaching, and scripture reading.

Ahhh, my new life....I love it!


Now you know I couldn't have a pictureless, plainly boring post so here ya go:
For his own protection

"Babee!!" She loves him sooooooooooo much!

I am loving Reagan's stage! She is the sweetest thing (hitting stage gone, so glad!). Her vocabulary is taking off and I love being able to communicate with her. We have so much fun. Here is one of her favorite spots: the window sill, or any window sill! She loves looking out the window and saying, "Birdie" or "Car!" Looking at a picture of the Temple.
For some reason Reagan thinks it's very exciting when I change Lincoln's diaper. She always yells "POOP!" and I can't help but laugh every time. But she really is quite the helper. I have her bring me all kinds of things like his diaper or wipes. Yes, I think she's biting his foot!
I know every kid does this but I still can't help but think it is the cutest thing! I'm amazing in what she is actually able to walk around in, size 13 or heels, no problem!

AWWWW!
Reagan thinks Lincoln's things are pretty cool....
She tries to climb in the swing and can successfully crawl in the carseat. I'm grateful she actually hasn't reverted back to the pacifier, instead she just tries to stuff it in Lincoln's mouth!
It's been fun to have visitors, thank you all who've come. Sheri and Lizzy holding Lincoln.
I really can tell he's getting bigger. I got on the scale yesterday with him and deducted he ways about 10 lbs. So he's gained about 2 lbs, very good!

8 comments:

  1. Julie, I loved the tender moment, with Reagan, you shared. It almost made me cry too! As my children are now teenagers, I can tell you this crazy time seems like it will never end... but it does. I am so proud to see you truly living in the moment!!! I asked Cassie, Jillian and Bobby if they wanted to do an Easter egg hunt after church today and they laughed. (little did they know I was serious :0). Sending you a big big hug, Your big sis Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jules, I don't know what to tell you other than that every other other of more than one kid has been there. (And get used to not really being able to eat.) I'm so sorry it's been hard and I'd love to tell you that it gets easier. I think it does, I'm just not sure when.
    Good luck. You're in good (and abundant) company.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie, I just loved reading your post! Probably because now your life is just like mine!!! Though mine has gotten a little bit easier each day as Caleb has gotten older and can do things for himself (which will happen with Reagan, too). Thanks so much for sharing--it's good to know that you aren't the only one out there with the mom-struggles!! Best of luck in getting to eat your dinner :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie you are amazing! I'm glad you're getting a routine down- I know how much you thrive on a routine and it definitely does help. You are such go getter and I'm amazed that you are able to get so much done already. I took full advantage of not doing any housework or cooking for about a month. And that was just with one kid! I can't imagine with 2! You are doing wonderfully and your children are absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Julie.. I love hearing all about you and the kiddies. I can totally picture you playing and laughing with them. It's a sweet thought! And with Reagan.. that about made me cry (sometimes i am so emotional, its funny!). Julie, i love you so much! Lincoln is so handsome and Reagan is growing cuter everyday! Well done! Love you tons! And miss you so much..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Julie. I know EXACTLY what you are going through. It has been a really tough transition on me too. We'll get through this together. It is so comforting to know that someone else is going through and having the same feelings and moments as I do. Hang in there. I'm trying to too :)

    I would say by far for me my transition from 1 to 2 kids is the hardest adjustment (even harder from going from 0 to 1 kid).

    ReplyDelete
  7. We love you Julie. I am glad things are getting back to normal. Great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey you let me know if you need anything. I asked Will a while ago, and he said no cuz your family was here. But now that they aren't, what can I get you dear?!?! Love you guys! Jackie

    ReplyDelete

comments