Saturday, May 16, 2009

The Aquarium

Last Thursday Alissa, BrieAnn and I took our kids to the Salt Lake Aquarium in Sandy. These are my adventure girls, I love them! Alissa is moving at the beginning of June so we're trying to pack in as many outings before then as we can, so stay tuned! Sad how over the past two years so many of my dear friends have moved away. Thank goodness for blogs and reunions (still planning on the "in 5 years" cruise, looks like it might be more like 10, hahah).

Henry and Reagan "This is so much fun!"Christian, Henry, and ReaganThey're like, "Check her out!"

Alissa and Henry
We each had our favorite thing. Alissa loved the translucent jelly fish that took on the color of the changing lightening and seemed to almost glow, but maybe they were a tie with the swimming turtle she loved. I loved the shark window. I like them because they scare me. Why is it so fun to be scared? I have always been scared of sharks. Literally, I worry about sharks every time I go to a beach no matter where it is: Puerto Rico, Bahamas, Hawaii, East or West coasts you name it, the thought of encountering one hangs over me! I am a daring person and love to be scared (rollercoasters, bungie jumping) but I've found my weakness and where I draw the line: the water. I wont ever go scuba diving, even snorkeling scares me a bit, I don't even like waiting to be picked up by a boat after falling while wake boarding/tubing for fear of what is under there that might get me! But put up a glass window and I love it! I like being scared within safe bounds I guess. I think I scared Reagan when I squeezed her tight when one swam by because she didn't want to stay at that window any longer! BrieAnn seemed to enjoy it all but I know she was enamored with the almost fake looking bright yellow and black poisonous frogs. My not favorite thing was touching a sting ray, I literally jumped and screamed when it brushed my hand as it swam by. I was just so shocked that it was so soft, I thought they looked they were hard kind of like a shell. It was too weird for me.

We had a terrific time (I mean what's not fabulous about seeing your kids excited) but I do have to admit it wasn't the most impressive museum. We all laughed as we drove up to it because it looked like we were pulling into a Toys R' Us parking lot with it being in a big gray building (akin to like a grocery store) and just tucked somewhere on the side of a busy road in Sandy. I guess it's all about expectations. See I grew up on the East Coast right outside of D.C. so things are grand! I think Lagoon (Utah's theme park) is a good comparison. I remember the first time I went there in high school and I was so excited. I pictured to be like my beloved King's Dominion or Busch Gardens that I grew up going to. When I got there I was like, "You have got to be kidding me!" hahaha. Well growing up going to the Baltimore Aquarium sort of had the same effect on me when I attended this. I just picture museums to be in a big beautiful building both inside and out, a land mark of the city. So lets just say if they charged two dollars for admission this museum would be perfect and well worth taking your kids to. But at $8 a ticket I would save taking your kids to a trip at the aquarium for the next time you're on a vacation in a big city.

But a fun day for sure! Thanks girls!

3 comments:

  1. I had no idea there was an aquarium in Sandy! Now we have another fun thing to go do one of these weekends... YAY!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, how fun! You guys make a very cute group!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad we went, even if it wasn't as impressive as we had all hoped. But I'm with you I think the big cruise is more likely in 10 than 5, cause didn't we all say that in 06, so "in five" is roughly 2011. Annd I think there might be a few more additions to everyones family by then, that might now be so easy to leave behind. See you later this week for the petting zoo.

    ReplyDelete

comments