Hi guys. I wanted to update you that I am doing better. So many have written and called and I still haven't gotten back to you, but please know that I have appreciated it so much.
I am so grateful I opened up. I have been vulnerable and it has allowed you to be vulnerable with me. I'm grateful I can continue this conversation so openly.
I struggle with anxiety. I have my whole life. I always just labeled it as "stress" and "worry" but it pushed me to great heights and I kept it under control for the most part. When I finally admitted to myself, upon realizing that I could never relax, that I had an anxiety problem (this was one year ago), it scared me. Scared me bad. I started having anxiety over having anxiety. I wondered what I should do, should I get help or continue life as it had always been, a life that was pretty good.
I am a "to do list" kind of girl. I feel accomplished when I "get things done," "finish a project," have things in "control." As a mom, that is hard to do.
From a combination of many things (prone to anxiety, family history, all or nothing and perfection ideology, etc.) I have been suffering with depression. I don't think it's totally a depression problem but more of being so overwhelmed and full of anxiety that it plummets me into a depression. And the depression is so so real.
So at this terrifyingly low point I sought help that was much over due. I have met with a therapist (who I actually didn't totally mesh with so I have an appointment with a new one this week). I've met with a psychiatrist. My mom has been here for 3 weeks and is staying another week. Having her here has been a God send.
I am doing better. Honestly, when I feel hope I am back to being ME. When depression hits, it's like I'm a shell of myself. I am so grateful to be feeling alive again. But my biggest fear is that it will happen again and that I don't have any control over it. That is why I am so so so grateful I am meeting with a therapist. I want to gain tools to control anxiety so it doesn't get out of control in my life. I want to recognize triggers and feel when I start to dip down into depression before I fall because to get back out is sooooooo hard.
This is where I'm at. It is so not over. But when I'm feeling good, life is back to normal. Almost like I literally can't believe how I felt a week ago. It's so weird! For me it's not really good days and bad days. It's like I'm either doing GREAT and being me, or I am depressed and it can last from days to weeks until I can get out of it. I know it sounds bipolar and crazy, good thing I have doctors helping me!
Thank you so much for your support. Thank you for loving me. Thank you for believing in me. I am getting through this, wow! Life is hard but I'm going to make it.
Now I'll be posting some old posts I never got around to posting, and posting some of the fun things we've been doing with Grandma here. The kids LOVE her!!!! And I LOVE having her here! She is absolutely amazing and has helped me so much! I am so glad she is MY MOMMY.
I'm so glad you're doing better. It sounds like it's been a long road and the fact is that it's going to be a long way from here and you'll have relapses. But I think your plan is a good one and well, you're Julie, you can do anything.
ReplyDeleteLove you.
I am so happy that you're feeling a little bit more like you. I've missed you! And mom's are just wonderful to help us when we need it. I'm so glad yours was able to come and stay for so long. You are really someone special Julie Anne, and I so glad you're feeling a little better. :)
ReplyDeleteJulie,
ReplyDeleteI am so glad that you are doing better. You have been in my prayers during this difficult time. You are such a strong person to ask for help when you needed it. I will continue to pray for you!
God Bless.
Jamie Evans