(was going to scan in high school snowboarding pictures, but just don't have the energy...imagine:) )
Moving my junior year of high school without my family and leaving my friends and everything I knew behind in Virginia was a huge trial to my 16 year old self. Looking back, I am really grateful snowboarding. Honestly, it was a blessing in my life. It was a major part of what got me through. It made me so happy. It was something I could always go do. My release, my escape, my fun.
I grew up skiing with my family. We took advantage of the man made snow on the hills in Pennsylvania. I laugh when I think of the brown hill with streaks of white marking the few runs. We spent some of my favorite Christmases skiing in Tahoe. Having so much fun skiing with my family growing up inspires me to make that a part of my own family traditions. Spending a week at a cabin skiing/snowboarding each day with my little family is my dream.
When I was still pretty young my brothers inspired me to begin snowboarding. I went on several trips with friends (Nancy, Brin, Jackie). So fun! I am so grateful for this background because it let me soar in Utah. I got here and it was like I had always been here. I was shocked at how few of my peers in Utah snowboarded. Sometimes we take least advantage of things closest in our reach.
But I did find some friends boarding. Of course there were always more guys to board with. But I remember meeting a girl Erin on the bus and were immediate friends. I had such a blast riding with her. My senior year I started riding with Anne and Aly and formed what we called ourselves, "The Velvet Crew." Representing the very few girl riders! We great times together.
When I went to BYU I still drove up to Brighton but I made a conscious choice that I didn't want snowboarding to be the focus in my life anymore. Sure it could be fun but I wanted to really focus and dive into college life. Other things were more important and it has now become just a hobby.
Getting married and having kids I hadn't hit the slopes in a few years. This year it's been different! My kids are old enough that I can leave them with a babysitter all day. And I really wanted to get and have some me days. So Anne and I have been going. (Thank you Will for your corporate pass to Sundance).


After Sundance a few times, which is nice, but small, Anne treated me to a day at our old stomping grounds. BRIGHTON, what up! Her brother Mark joined us and it happened to be the best POWDER day ever! We spent the entire day hooting and hollering in back country, cutting through beautiful trees in untouched snow. Sure I had to hike out a couple of times, lol, but one of the most memorable snowboarding days ever.
So there you have it, my history of snowboarding. Congratulations if you stuck it through this saga. :)
But I did find some friends boarding. Of course there were always more guys to board with. But I remember meeting a girl Erin on the bus and were immediate friends. I had such a blast riding with her. My senior year I started riding with Anne and Aly and formed what we called ourselves, "The Velvet Crew." Representing the very few girl riders! We great times together.
When I went to BYU I still drove up to Brighton but I made a conscious choice that I didn't want snowboarding to be the focus in my life anymore. Sure it could be fun but I wanted to really focus and dive into college life. Other things were more important and it has now become just a hobby.
Getting married and having kids I hadn't hit the slopes in a few years. This year it's been different! My kids are old enough that I can leave them with a babysitter all day. And I really wanted to get and have some me days. So Anne and I have been going. (Thank you Will for your corporate pass to Sundance).


We make ourselves cozy in the Sundance Resort lodge.
Toast our feet by the fire, drink hot chocolate.
And by toast our feet, I mean literally.
My feet were so cold one day, and I honestly didn't even realize it. Anne told me to put them by the fire but I didn't feel anything. I rested my foot against the glass and still didn't feel it's warmth. But then I smelt something. I moved my foot and realized it was sticky. The glass was melting my sock! My feet really were frozen numb!
Then next time I went back the mark was still on the fireplace, I've left my permanent foot print there, oops!
Toast our feet by the fire, drink hot chocolate.
And by toast our feet, I mean literally.My feet were so cold one day, and I honestly didn't even realize it. Anne told me to put them by the fire but I didn't feel anything. I rested my foot against the glass and still didn't feel it's warmth. But then I smelt something. I moved my foot and realized it was sticky. The glass was melting my sock! My feet really were frozen numb!
Then next time I went back the mark was still on the fireplace, I've left my permanent foot print there, oops!
After Sundance a few times, which is nice, but small, Anne treated me to a day at our old stomping grounds. BRIGHTON, what up! Her brother Mark joined us and it happened to be the best POWDER day ever! We spent the entire day hooting and hollering in back country, cutting through beautiful trees in untouched snow. Sure I had to hike out a couple of times, lol, but one of the most memorable snowboarding days ever.So there you have it, my history of snowboarding. Congratulations if you stuck it through this saga. :)
That's so awesome! Yay for you!!
ReplyDelete