I LOVE library story time. 

I love the library. Library is a part of childhood. Since moving to Spanish Fork two years ago, the library is on our regular outing list. The Spanish Fork Library is pretty small (especially coming from Provo's AMAZING library) but if you know me I tend to like small things (cozy, getting to know all the people and things).
Every time we go to the library this is our routine:
We return all our books, Reagan is my HUGE helper, she knowingly plops them down the kid's level return slot. Then we look for books. Lincoln does his own thing, climbing up at the kid's table and chairs, grabbing on of the cardboard books to enjoy, playing in the kid room, walking around. Now that I think about it he does amazingly well, no pulling off all the books or reeking havoc. Reagan helps me find books, grabbing out her favorites and delightfully showing me. Asking me, "Should we get this one?" We've found some family classics, just books that we as a family have really enjoyed reading together. Cookies Week, Monkey Where Are You? Reagan carefully places each of the chosen books into our two canvas bags (Reagan is VERY particular about how she does things, especially when it comes to stacking/organizing her books, always has been. Hilarious). Then we check out, maxing our 50 limit. Books back in the bag and STAMPS. Stamps on each hand. Lincoln loves climbing his stool pointing out the two stamps he wants and holding out his two fists. He loves showing me, holding up his fist for admiration.
Somewhere in the middle of the process of checking out books we go to the side room for story time. Like most things, the kids have gotten better over time. (Lincoln used to run all around, and Reagan used to shyly sit with me, not participating in anything). Reagan is now routinely front and center on the carpet. The teacher is so good!

But we'll dance together, acting out the darling songs they sing. And Reagan takes care of her brother, making sure to bring him any props of the day, colorful scarves, bells, shakers and other noisy instruments, coloring sheet.
The kids with their fantastic teacher.
If it's not too hot or too cold we play at the "library park."Sometimes they tape story time and we get to see ourselves on TV on the Spanish Fork channel. Reagan thinks that's pretty cool.
When we come home, Lincoln goes down for his nap and Reagan flips through each of the newly checked out library books and places them lined up neatly ALL over the floor. Then we read three books every night. That's our library routine ;)

I was catching up on your blog and you said something about a pregnant woman... I had no idea you were prego! Congrats! Is it a boy or girl? When are you due? I'm 13 weeks, but I haven't updated my blog yet... someday :) Love ya and miss ya! Good luck with the no sugar; I wish I could do that. We love Monk on Netflix too much and girl, I could eat a whole row of oreos too!! The once a week idea is great! I'm gonna start juicing vegetables b/c I don't eat enough and at least I could plug my nose and drink them once a day Watch "Fat, Sick, & Nearly Dead" on Netflix if you're ever bored. Love ya Shannon
ReplyDeleteI LOVE it! The library is one of our favorite places to go too, it ranks right up there with the park, which is pretty up there! Thank you for this post, it reminded me how important it is to spend some good time at the library and get lots of books (not just movies, we always get some of those too), and make sure the kids LOVE to be there. And it is SO fun to read through all the new books! I know you share my love of picture books, so you understand;) Cute kiddos too!!
ReplyDeleteHow fun! Yes, indeed, the library is wonderful! We love ours too and I love that you captured it in photos. I definitely need to do that and write about it like you did!
ReplyDeleteI just started taking Ella and she LOVES it.
ReplyDeleteShe is the best library story time teacher, for sure! So, which day(s)/time(s) do you go? We want to get back into the routine!
ReplyDeleteI love that you blogged about the library! It will be so fun for your kids to look back at this post and remember how much they loved it. We still go every three weeks, but being on Brady's schedule makes story time a little tough and I've heard that during the summer it is CRAZY with the kids not in school. So... yeah you might not see us there until fall. :)
ReplyDelete