I
am naturally prone to anxiety.
I
can see it in me even as a young child. I would stress. It helped me ACHIEVE
and do great things.
I
would wake up ON MY OWN in elementary school to practice my flute for an hour
each morning before getting ready for school. I would go to bed OWN MY OWN when
I was a kid/teenager because I recognized I needed to be rested for school, and
would then set my alarm to wake up in enough time to get ready for school and
early morning Seminary.
I
was never told to do homework, earn money, do chores, practice instruments,
work out because I was ALWAYS, from a very very young age, DRIVEN to do those
things on my own. Does it sound like the perfect child? I wouldn't wish it on my kids....
Stress
definitely played a part of all this. If I could relax like a normal person and
kick back even when there was work to do (cause word to the wise, there is ALWAYS
work to be done! The wisdom is to take A BREAK in the midst of it all!), do you
think I would have gotten straight A’s all through high school and college?
Do
you think if I didn’t have anxiety and the thought of getting a B didn’t kill
me I would have graduated Magna Cum Laude from a very prestigious school where
EVERYONE is smart and talented and capable?
Do
you think if I could have let up a little I would have been on academic
scholarship and put myself through college?
No,
no, no, no.
Now
those are all good things that I am extremely proud of but do you know how much
I would have given to have been able to be normal in college? Do you know that,
although I was always BLESSED with INCREDIBLE friends, I would barely go out on
the weekends because I had to stay home and study. How said friends
liked such a boring girl, I have no idea.
I
really didn't date much. Not that I didn't attract guys, but I always gave off
the persona, "I'm too busy for you."
Do
you know how badly I just wanted to have fun like a NORMAL college student, do
crazy, immature things, even flunk a class, but I HONESTLY did.not.know.how.
Being
“PERFECT” was the only way I knew how to be….
So
when I saw this book out of the corner of my eye as I knelt down to change
McKinley’s diaper in my therapist’s office it literally JUMPED out at me!
I believe that things you need are attracted to you, God sending you what you need to hear. And in the last few months I have felt like a MAGANET to books, to people, and to things that I NEED!!!
Remember
this post trying to be perfect?
God
tells us all to be like HIM, even Perfect. Perfect, but not clones. Seriously how boring
would that be?
Just
as salt brings out the NATURAL flavor of food, intensifying it’s present
qualities, so is God willing to bring out the BEST in us, ME ,YOU, only PERFECTED.
Wouldn’t that be the greatest gift to ourselves: Our BEST Self!!!!!
Realizing
that it’s harmful. Fake. And people don’t even want to be around you because
you’re too plastic. Plastic is cold and hard and uninviting.
I'm not even going to change the hour in which I'm posting. Something I normally do to appear "normal." No I was not posting at 3:00 in the morning, are you crazy? Well I am. And proud of it! It's me. Own it!
I'm not even going to change the hour in which I'm posting. Something I normally do to appear "normal." No I was not posting at 3:00 in the morning, are you crazy? Well I am. And proud of it! It's me. Own it!

I love this Julie. I think so many people in our culture, and others too, get caught in what I call the "perfection trap." Reading through this article I saw myself, having done many of the same things you did while growing up, including going to college on academic scholarship. I remember one day being in a really bad mood and going to class thinking "I quit. I'm not even going to take notes." I didn't take notes and sat there with my arms crossed for about 2 minutes and then hurriedly pulled out my notebook and was asking my neighbors what the first two slides said so I could write it down. I didn't know how to NOT be a perfectionist. I still have anxiety to this day and it affects me and my family daily. I have been too scared to talk about with anyone other than my close family and friends so I just try to do it on my own, and that, as I am sure you know, is so hard. I have been finding so much inspiration from your posts and your honesty on here about what you are going through. I have a friend who says she is a recovering perfectionist and your post reminded me of an article she wrote. http://powerofmoms.com/2011/05/the-perfect-mom/
ReplyDelete