So what's with Utah and people not going to Stake Conference? Really, I wanna know. No judgement, just curious. Will thinks tradition. If that's the case, if ur smart you'd break it, duh. I asked one friend and he said, "Cause no one knows if you're not there." Wow, if that's the reason you go to church, for other people, that's sad, buddy.
Anyway, I happen to LOVE Stake Conference. I mean what other time do you get to hear from your leaders? They are YOUR leaders and if you don't know them, it makes it hard to sustain and support them.
When Will was in college he and Ben Kaufman would Stake Conference hop, lol. See at BYU there is almost ALWAYS a General Authority. I mean, it's the Lord's church, why the heck not! So Will and Ben would attend church and then head off to find a Conf. in session. #newlyReturnedMissionaries
Funny story. So when Will and I were dating we broke up, who doesn't? And while we were broken up, who shows up at my freaking Stake Conference, none other than the Will Beck! (He swears it was an accident, to this day I don't believe him) And where was he sitting? Um, the FRONT row. Heck yes! But excuse me, that's MY place William, and you KNOW that. (see I'm telling ya, stalker, he wasn't about to let me slip away) but #AWARD!!!!!!!!!!
Still remember the speaker, David Burton and he talked all about golf. Just like my Stake Pres did, doesn't get better than sports analogies. Also remember the knot in my stomach seeing Will and not being able to rush to him, he wasn't mine anymore. So glad he is MINE forever now.
Anyhoo, enough of memory lane. Let's get to Stake Conference because I was in love with the speakers, legit.
Covered the Adult Session here.
Youth morning side. LOVED! Seriously, where did these youth come from? It's like they were saved and sent down from God or something, wait... ya!
First speaker was a 17 year old, DROP DEAD GORGEOUS, Hawaiian/Puertorican/I dunno beauty. Turns outs she's AMAZING too. She talked all about gratitude which I so needed to hear. She said gratitude is an uplifting and upperward emotion and energy, LOVED that, so up my alley. Being grateful makes you HAPPY. If you live with a grateful heart you will always be satisfied. Express gratitude to every person that helps you in anyway. Say "ThankYou" OUTLOUD. She says she walks around sayin' thank you to God outloud, so cute! When we aren't grateful we dismiss God's hand in our life. When you start to recognize it you see MIRACLES, everyday. The "so what" factor from this talk for me was to 1. Write ThankYou Notes. 2. Start my Gratitude Journal again.
Second speaker used to be in our ward so I felt some ownership/pride in seeing him up there. He talked about keeping the Sabbath day Holy. Was this session planned for me? Kinda feels like it. The Sabbath is given for OUR benefit!!! As I look back on my life and see periods where I truly honored the Sabbath day, it was DEF my favorite day, because it was a day of peace. Hasn't been lately. My take away: sacrifice to get things done leading up to Sunday (PREPARE) so I truly can rest/relax on Sunday. I know when I've tried to do this in the past that the Lord has made up the difference. For example, in college, I remember literally being blessed to get more done/more efficient and remember more when I consciously committed not to study on Sunday. The blessing are real. I have faith he can do that in my home life, so I'm going to put it to the test. I want to slow down, I want to be in the moment, that's been a struggle my whole life. I think honoring the Sabbath is a perfect way to start.
Sister Nielsen spoke. I loved her talk. She courageously spoke on making right decisions. Our tomorrow is because of what we choose today. I love her CAN DO attitude and anything you desire you can have because OUR DESTINITY IS IN OUR HANDS. Choose it, go after it, and you SHALL OBTAIN. I believe that with all my heart. HOPE is one of my favorite virtue because I KNOW the debilitating power of FEAR. And we CAN change, it's call REPENTANCE, and it's not too late.
Next was the general session and I didn't take as many notes, shocker, something about 3 crazy kids.... My favorite was when Lincoln threw an entire Tupperware full of GOLDFISH high into the sky and in SLOW MOTION I see hundreds of tiny goldfish sailing through the air and ping, ping, ping, landing all over the isles of wood floor behind us.
Will, furious, stands up and walks out because he was going to lose it and me couldn't help but laughing, seriously it was hilarious. I was thinking, "Did that just REALLY happen." Yes, yes it did. And I proceeded to gather the broom from the janitor's closet and oh yes I did, swept the floor while speakers were talking in the MIDDLE of the Stake Conference with rows of row of people watching me. I kept thinking, "we all have kids, people know how it is, and if they wanna judge, sad for them."
When it was cleaned up I texted Will to come back in. I didn't blame him. We all have things that boil our blood, messy snacks in church is one of his. We've had several discussions about it. Me being with kids 24 hrs a day, really doesn't bother me (but you all know I stress about plenty other things). So that fact that this would happen to HIM, of all people that his son would be "that kid" was pretty comical. I am seriously surprised he didn't up and go home, it was that hard on him. LOL. He came back in and was surprisingly calm the rest of the session. Oh how I love my husband.
The things I do remember about this session is the Patriarch speaking. That calling in the church fascinates me. I think it is quite possibly the coolest thing ever! What a privilege, what a responsibility to live up to. I honor him. I love that he said Heavenly Father wants us to remember our mission here upon the earth, I feel that.
Then a member of the Provo Temple Presidency spoke. I LOVE THE TEMPLE. He promised us that if we attend the temple regularly we will have greater peace in our life, you all know I NEED that. He said no matter what kind of things are going on in your life MAKE the TEMPLE a PRIORITY. I commit to go with Will once a month and I cannot wait. I also want to make an effort to take the kiddos to the temple grounds. Now that it's warming up this will be such a fun activity. I am in love with all the flowers, and fountains, I know they will love it to.
So there ya go. Excited for next Conference! Hope you'll come too. I really do love our Stake.
nobody goes to stake conference here either....i don't get it.
ReplyDeletethe goldfish story is great!
at least there you can chop it up to having to drive 40min. having the church in your neighborhood is not really a sacrifice.
DeleteOops...guilty! With my two kids I find it just too frustrating to go to stake conference. That's a pretty lame excuse though since it's no different than a Sacrament meeting except it's 45 minutes longer. My husband understands my hesitation and says we should go and stay as long as we can and if the kids need to go home then we can leave, but at least we've tried. I guess the kids won't learn how to behave during it if we never give them the opportunity. Thanks for the encouragement, your conference sounds like it was wonderful!
ReplyDeleteOne of my absolute favorite stake conferences was when Elder Bednar and Elder Sitati came to our stake. It was amazing because Elder Bednar said (I don't remember the exact quote) that we should always be excited to learn from our Stake President and that we can learn from every person. He said we don't go to conference to hear people speak we go to "learn." Then he said he had learned from a talk he had heard from a new convert at our stake conference. He then spent the rest of his talk expounding on her talk. I learned so much.
ReplyDeleteWhen I was listening to Elder Sitati, something he said really struck me and not a week goes by that I don't think about what he said. It is amazing. That conference was a few years ago and it still sticks with me. I now listen to every single talk (even those from the youth that they aren't too thrilled to be giving) because if I have the spirit with me, I will learn something from every talk. It might not be something they say, but it could be a feeling or thought that pops into my mind.
Oh my gosh, I am laughing so hard at the goldfish story. Things like that get on Jared's nerves to, but it doesn't bother me one bit.
ReplyDeleteJared feels very honored to be one of the quotes from this post! :) I love that you love to go! And I wish we had gone. Really I do. Especially to have seen Lincoln spill the goldfish and probably help you out! :) Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDelete