Well, we did it, she's sold! Sold for the grand total of $550.
Testimonials:
After all of this you might think I was incredibly lucky to have gotten $550 and didn't have to actually PAY someone to take this car. But after 8 years, countless memories, and all this, I think she's worth thousands. I'll miss you good old car, here's a toast to you!
After 8 years of service (whether quality or not) I think she deserves a toast.
Here are some of my favorite Memories
PREFACE
Stories:
Blue Lightening had a mind of her own, she would randomly do the strangest things: things would stop working and then they would work again as soon as something else decided to lose it's function.
Stories:
- The first week with my license, driving in my new car, lol, in a completely new state (having barley moved to Utah), on my way to see my sister for the first time (which in Julie Anne terms equates: I was lost) the car decides to break down!! I had enough momentum to pull off road the and into the entrance of a gated apartment building (smooth move Julie Anne, I'm sure the tenants loved having this beauty blocking their only entrance into their homes!) But I was a clueless 16 year old who was lost and scared and like I said, clueless. It was before the age of cell phones so I had to walk to an animal shelter (this sounds all too close to a horror movie to me), call my sister Cara and explained to her the awful situation. Great first date Blue, reeeeeal good first impression!
- Meghan Richardson and I used to go to kick boxing together in the mornings. Well, one morning I pulled up to her house to drop her off and I was just sitting there waiting for her to get out of the car..."OKAY Meghan, I gotta go." "I can't, I'm locked in!!!" The seat belt would not release! She was literally strapped to my car!! She tried and tried to get it unlocked but to no avail. We pulled and pulled but I guess it didn't help that we were both absolutely WEAK from laughing hysterically. Eventually, she ended up crawling up and out of the seat belt, (incredibly impressive), extricating yourself from an unyielding seat beat is not as easy as you would imagine! Needless to say, my seat belt remained buckled without anyone in the passenger seat for about a week, (it was a little eerie). But forevermore, every time I heard the click of someone strapping themselves in I got a little nervous that they would never get out!
- I spent an entire semester my freshman year climbing in through the passenger side door and crawling over to get into the driver side seat. (The door just decided to stop working) I have vivid memories of the not so pretty site of me loading myself into the car, especially bad were Sundays in a dress, WATCH OUT!!!
- The first time Will and I ever hung out he rode in the back seat of my car! Again, a random door periodically decided not to work. I felt like a taxi driver!!! I remember trying to talk to him, (and you know, when it's the first time hanging out with someone you try to act all cool and say really clever things) well I was trying to do all of this using the rear view mirror!!!
- My dashboard lights died 6 mo. into my ownership of the car. Diana bought me a push light that I package tapped onto the steering wheel holder. This was my routine of getting into the car at night: I may or may not need to enter through the passenger side, I turn on the car, and push my handy-dandy button light, good to go! I loved that button light, but all good things (powered by an irreplaceable battery), come to an end. About 4 years down the road, Will and I were on a road trip, he was driving. He got so fed up not being able to see how fast he was going he stopped at a gas station and bought a light that's cord stuck into the cigarette charger and made me hold the light up to the dashboard so he could see the rest of the trip!
- While Will and I were dating we drove the 8 hrs from here to Lake Powell and back in complete silence because the noise of the LOUD engine, combined with all 4 windows being down, in a useless effort to combat the lack of air conditioning, was deafening. In order to hear someone you would literally have to yell at the top of your lungs...we'll save our lungs, thank you.
- My car leaks, so whenever it rains my seats get wet. My bottom has been soaked many a times. I have often resorted to aquarium glue to stop it up for a while. With a car like this you care to put too much time and effort into washing it. So in preparation for selling it I took it to a car wash for the first time EVER!!! I started screaming because as soon as the water was spraying the car water started leaking it at all four corners!!! Ahhh, I just sat there in horror, completely at the hoses and spinny-thingy's mercy, until it was over! Lucky for Reagan, she had stayed home with Will, that would have been bad!
Testimonials:
- Many people had an intense aversion to this car, ahem: WILL, my dad, Diana, (and probably many more that were too polite to say it to my face). Will and I actually had to get in a fight before I finally stopped driving it (we had 3 cars for a while, while we tried to sell it and I thought, "hey, why not keep driving it?")
- My friend Anne who just got home from her mission in Bulgaria, came over to my house for the first time and she said: "You still have that thing!?!?!"
- The sound of my car has often been compared to the roar of an airplane. Some quotes from potential buyers, (potential meaning, pre-meeting Blue Lightening, of course) are: "I was going to take it on the highway but it got so loud just going down this street at 30 miles per hour, I thought, 'Why bother?' You must use ear plugs, huh?" From more than one, "WHAT is that rattle?" I don't know......
After all of this you might think I was incredibly lucky to have gotten $550 and didn't have to actually PAY someone to take this car. But after 8 years, countless memories, and all this, I think she's worth thousands. I'll miss you good old car, here's a toast to you!

I love that car! SEVERAL good trips to Vegas in it, many trips to the temple, and even one up to a Church History trip reunion. Fun times.
ReplyDeleteSO HILARIOUS!!! I know what you mean about loving a car that many find unlovable. Good ol' Blue Lightning, may she be a lovable car to her next owners! (And hopefully you didn't get a personal check like we did for part of what we sold our car for, which the owners promptly called us and told us they were cancelling the check and you-can't-do-anything-about-it) Sheesh.
ReplyDeleteof course i loved her...just not when i had to drive her. and its because i love her (and i'm hopelessly anal) that i'll remind you, you only had her for 7 years...not 8. :)
ReplyDeleteWe liked that car!! No close encounters with the thing but we've seen it around.
ReplyDeleteI know what you mean about loving a car. It really does become part of the family. We had this van that we bought when I was like 9. It was really nice back in the day!! It was like a "cool mini van", several trips to Oklahoma, Colorado, etc in that car.
You could still find a hidden french fry in that car if you looked hard enough!!
My parents recently sold it and each got a new nice car. I am actually kinda sad!!
The van was annoying sometimes though. Like you said, things would randomly break, and it had one of those shoulder seat belts for the driver that automatically rolled forward when you opened the driver side door to let you out, then you had the strap to buckle across the bottom...well my last encounter w/ the car was pretty bad...the soulder belt wouldn't slide forward, and my lap belt wouldn't come undone. I started panicing and screaming, and slamming open and shut the driver door to try and activate the belt.
haha Julie! I must have looked crazy! I know how your friend feels!
It is a scary thing being strapped into a car like that!! Eventually my lap buckle snapped off and I crawled under the shoulder belt.
Also, on occasion the car's seat belts would randomly get tighter and tighter. You would try to lean forward and it seemed like they would suck you further back!! haha.
Here, here, "cling."
ReplyDeleteHa ha ha! I completely forgot about that seatbelt attack story. Thanks for refreshing my memory Julie! That was a good car- I think I'll toast to ol' Lighting too.
ReplyDelete