Posted by: WB
Julie and I have been wrestling with our desire to feel the influence of the Holy Spirit more in our lives. We are both willing, to differing degrees, to make changes in regards to the media we allow into our lives. Julie's request: Stop watching all non sports related television and movies. My response: Fat chance homes! I'm not an addict but I like a movie now and again and an occasional tv show. I rather enjoy keeping my Netflix queue updated. (Just viewed "The Dilemma", Next Up "The Adjustment Bureau" and I'm giving "True Grit" a second chance.)
I know Julie. We live together. We talk, I observe. I know what makes her tick. And I certainly know that one of her biggest passions in life is eating. She may not look like it but she out eats me routinely. On top of her list of things to be grateful for right after beautiful husband, cute kids, and restored gospel is an animalistic metabolism. Well, if she had a weakness within the food category it would be sweets. When she has one, she must have another. When I buy doublestuffed oreos I write my name on the bag to mark my territory. Perhaps, I've gone too far, but know this, the woman likes treats more than most things.
So Julie comes at me hard wanting me to give up TV and movies for life!!! That's a long time and like most dudes, I shy away from some commitments. Trying to be quick on my feet, I thought of what she would least like to give up in the world. BOOM! I retort, "I'll give up TV for my whole life but you have to give up sweets." We wager back and forth. "If you go without for a month, that will show me you are committed enough for me to change my media habits. " The wheels start turning in her braining. "Can I really do this?" "How much do I dislike TV?" "Are oatmeal raisins considered a treat?" She agrees. We nail out the terms. If she can go without sweets/sugar for 30 days, I will give up tv and movies. After the 30 days are over, she begged for the opportunity to have no more than two portions of treats on Sundays only.
I've teased her and doubted her but she seems determined to prove me wrong. Check back on her progress. So far she is 15 minutes in and pretty testy.
Julie's side of the story: First of all, may I defend myself about the crabby 15 minutes. It was 10 o'clock (to a pregnant lady, aimed to wake up at 5 am for the gym, 10 o'clock is LATE!) and I was in bed ready to go to sleep after our exhausting conversation when Will pulls out his computer with the light on to write this out. Excuse me? The couch, please!
Now back to the point, I have long since wanted to do something like this with media. I am an all or nothing kind of person. Every time I hear a lesson about or think about my media choices I always just want to cut it out completely, extreme? Extreme is who I am. I feel like that's the only way I'll do something about it. Otherwise where do you draw the line? Just reading Will's list of the movies that were coming, those sounded so fun. But a recent movie we watched, Date Night, which I thought was sooooooooo funny was marred by one obscene scene. Isn't that how it always is. I can't think of that movie without images of that scene coming to mind. Is it worth it, NO!
Pros of no media: we'll find a lot more meaningful ways of relaxing, like actually talking to each other at the end of the day instead of plopping down exhausted on the couch and turning on the TV as soon as the kids go down, or reading, or playing games together. Hey, I might even become a sports fan if all Will's ever going to watch is sports. I can't imagine how much that would mean to him. In fact, I'm going to say I'm going to make an effort to be a sports fan, learning names, keeping up with teams.
Now for my part of the deal, no sugar. I have tried in the past, never successful. Actually, pathetic, I last no longer than a day. The problem, I honestly don't care enough. I LOVE food. I never want to deny myself the sheer enjoyment of treats, the trade off isn't worth it. The difference now, there's something I REALLY care about that's at stake. I will NEVER get this chance again with Will. We've tried negotiating in the past, our lines always seem to fade after a while. But this was his idea. Why? Because he thought it was impossible. And with my track record I would say it looks impossible too. But there is something about me. When things are MY choice I have powerful self control. When limits/laws are put on me externally I'm pathetic. There was a time in my life where I fasted almost every Sunday. Which were the hardest Sundays for me? Fast Sunday. The Sunday I felt like it wasn't my choice to fast. The others were like a breeze, even though food is one of my passions, fasting really wasn't hard on those days.
#2 This is going to be so good for my health, mentally and physically. Of course we all know how bad sugar is for us. But I think it's particularly bad for me. My family tends to be very sensitive to sugar (I grew up in a sugar free home). I am like an addict with sugar. I can honestly say I'm addicted to sugar right now. What Will says about the Oreo's is true, if I eat one, I'll eat the whole row, no joke. But there's another element. I know sugar effects the way I feel. My dad stays ENTIRELY away from sugar. When he eats it he gets really down, or really mean (I would like to emphasize this point, Will), the consequences in his case are NOT worth it. He is often telling me that I should do the same, but I never take the advice because it seems too hard and unrealistic. Although I'm doing pretty well in regards to depression, I honestly think cutting out majority of sugar would help.
#3 There is a balance.
Sugar: Like I said, I think sugar has a place. I mean, how fun is it to make and eat chocolate chip cookies with my kids and share them with neighbors. There is something so warm about baking treats and having good desserts. I feel like it's a part of family life, creating good wholesome memories and traditions. That's where the Sundays come in.
Media: We're going to block all TV channels except Sports, news, BYU TV. PG and G movies and kids shows are still allowed. Hey, I'm all about watching more Disney movies with Reagan! My parents actually just gave us a ton of VHS's I grew up watching (since they no longer have a VHS player) So I'm all about bringing out classics like Home Alone that seem a part of my childhood. And some of my all time favorite chick flicks like You've Got Mail, Ever After, One Fine Day.
Now he's the trick, can I do it?
As Will sat down to write this post last night I thought, "Oh good, he's writing our contract. Holding us both accountable." So I have you with me, I have to go until the 28th of July without ANY sugar, then my Sundays kick in. I'm determined! I'm excited! Bring it on!
This is so entertaining!! I can't wait to hear how it pans out.
ReplyDeletehaha, I LOVE this. You guys are great! Good luck to both of you!!!!!
ReplyDeleteOooh...it's on! Tanner and I have played with the idea of getting rid of the cable. I feel nasty most of the time I watch TV. Julie, I am at your service...I can offer both sugar-free dessert options that are quite good...see the Banana Cookies on this page (omit Chocolate Chips) http://atthebrownsblog.blogspot.com/2011/06/healthy-tips.html
ReplyDeleteAnd I can also help with some getting into sports tips.
Good luck to the both of you! Keep us updated!!
How awesome! I love the idea of cutting out the media influences...so relevant these days! Something I will definitely consider after I just read this blog post: http://www.emergingmummy.com/2011/06/in-which-i-promise-not-to-call-myself.html?spref=fb
ReplyDeleteGood Luck with that. I don't think I could do it. I know what you mean about the media though. Ross and I just decided that we aren't going to watch Pg-13 movies so we threw all of the ones that we own away. That was kind of hard! And we don't have a tv. That has been a blessing too.
ReplyDeleteI think it is an unfair comparison---if something affects the way you feel spiritually, then it seems a no-brainer to change whatever it is that is bothering you. Sugar is something you like, if it affects your mood and you truly believe it would help to cut it out, then by all means try, but to compare it to better media choices seems like a stretch to me. Of course, we don't own a TV, never have, so it is easy for me to say THROW IT OUT :) Good luck to both of you. hugs.
ReplyDelete